JOINT RELEASE - Read the update on our website.
(Huntsville, ON) We’re getting ready to start Diggin’ Downtown Huntsville with road closures for construction starting this week.
River Street will be fully closed starting Wednesday, March 10 to allow crews to move machinery into the construction zone. Full Stage 1 road closures and detours start the morning of Friday, March 12, 2021 and will continue until the end of May 2021. Dufferin Construction crews will begin to install fencing along the Main Street to secure the Stage 1 construction zone, impacting some parking spaces.
The Diggin’ Downtown project is made up of 5 construction stages. Stages 1-4 will span an estimated 8 months this year, with the fifth and final stage in the spring of 2022 to wrap up all construction activities. All downtown businesses will remain open during construction, and pedestrian and business access will be maintained throughout all project stages.
Stage 1 restrictions will be in place until the end of May and will concentrate on work to the Muskoka River Swing Bridge, and underground water and sewer replacement along Main Street to Brunel and River Street.
Stage 1 – Road Closures – Friday, March 12, 2021 to End of May, 2021
- Active construction will take place on Main Street from the Muskoka River Swing Bridge to Brunel Road
- Active construction will take place on the Muskoka River Swing Bridge
- Active construction will take place on River Street from High Street to Main Street
- Main Street from Brunel Road to West Street will be used for the storage of construction material purposes only, and will be closed to traffic
Stage 1 - Detour Routes
- Westbound and eastbound traffic will detour north of the construction area – Chaffey Street and West Road and Centre Street
- Traffic travelling north or south will be directed between Brunel Road and Centre Street, along Veterans Way
The Town of Huntsville in coordination with partners have created the website page Huntsville.ca/diggindowntown to be the community’s source for construction news, timelines, detour information, maps and resources to assist residents, businesses and organizations for the duration of the project.
The Town of Huntsville and the District of Muskoka will continue to keep the community informed regarding the construction project at Huntsville.ca/diggindowntown and EngageMuskoka.ca and through all project partner social media accounts.
Diggin’ Downtown, Huntsville’s Streetscape project is funded in part by the Federal Gas Tax Fund. The Town of Huntsville is using $606,952 of Federal Gas Tax Funds for the Main Street Project.